Register

DesignCAD 2019 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Current 'rules' re: borrowed ebooks from Amazon Prime...
Read 93 times
* December 21, 2019, 12:09:43 PM
Gentlemen, and probably some Ladies,

Until recently, I've mostly avoided joining Amazon's "Prime" as just another effort by corporate America to convince consumers to join their incoming 'cash flow.' However, long wait/hold times for popular novels on the likes of Cloud Library or Overdrive and the e-book purchase prices on Amazon and Barnes and Noble are starting to make Prime's (current) monthly charge look like a possible bargain. However, the information about borrowing times, number of (registered) devices onto which loaners can be loaded, possible 'wait' times here(?), number of books that can be borrowed at one time, and etc. and etc. are in very short supply on Amazon web pages...

Therefore, I am asking if forum members might have recent experience with or answers to these issues?

Thanks,
Jim

December 21, 2019, 10:15:15 PM
Jim,

Sorry  but I have no experience "borrowing" or other such things on Amazon.

But I recently had an unpleasant experience with Amazon Prime. I don't make very many purchases through Amazon each year, so the price of Prime (about $150 per year) is much more than the normal shipping prices I pay.

But recently Amazon shoved a marketing scam dialog in my face as I was trying to buy something. It said I could try Amazon Prime for a month free. The marketing scum worded the ad so there was no obvious way out (no exit method), and I guess I misunderstood their options (the intent of the confusing terms) and clicked a surreptitiously labeled button that applied for a free month of Prime.

But although they say "try it for a month" you are signing up for life! After the "free" trial month is up they don't ask if you want to continue, and start billing you every month thereafter. Since they have your credit card number they can withdraw from your account without notifying you.

Fortunately, I check every number in my credit card statement and found a mysterious "purchase" from Amazon. I checked my Amazon account and of course it didn't mention this hidden fee.

When I called my bank to ask about it they said they had been receiving a lot of complaints about these mysterious charges from Amazon. They explained it was a charge for the "free" month of Prime.

I immediately logged in to my Amazon account and cancelled Prime!

To give credit where credit is due (pun) I did receive an email from Amazon saying that since I had  not used Prime since signing up they would remit the charge. I'll see next month if they actually reversed the charge. In any case, I'll never sign up for Prime and I will shut down the browser immediately when one of the no exit scam dialogs appears on Amazon.

Don't trust those Bastards!

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

* December 23, 2019, 04:25:44 PM
Phil,

Amen. It seems that corporations have no qualms about lying, misrepresenting, operating on the edge of fraud. It is old news now, but AT&T earned notice several months back by allegedly charging (satellite TV?) customers roughly twice what they had expected. In fairness, some of the excess could have been, ever rising, state and federal taxes (which nobody feels compelled to mention in the promo 'come on'),

'Old timers,' like myself, used to advise, "Never buy a pig in a poke!" In today's marketplaces, it can be difficult to find a 'pig' that isn't "...in a poke!"

Jim