Register

DesignCAD 2D 2020 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2020 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Future of DesignCAD ????
Read 2920 times
* October 06, 2019, 08:41:33 AM

1. When will the next update be available to fix the numerous MAJOR issue that make the current version unusable?
2. If there is no update planned how do I request a refund for the latest DesignCAD update that I purchased?

I am tired of waiting for solutions from the developers.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

* October 19, 2019, 04:39:23 AM

1. When will the next update be available to fix the numerous MAJOR issue that make the current version unusable?
2. If there is no update planned how do I request a refund for the latest DesignCAD update that I purchased?

I am tired of waiting for solutions from the developers.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Release version: 1st week of November
Beta version: Later this month.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:12:26 AM by Zunair Attif »

M.Zunair Attif
QA || Tech Support || Tech Pub Lead
IMSIDesign || Encore Software

* October 19, 2019, 04:43:31 AM
Dear All,

We are making the things better and hope so process will also be better next time. We are working on Patch with some important fixes.

M.Zunair Attif

* October 19, 2019, 07:36:00 AM
Thank you for the reply and I look forward to receiving the update.

December 03, 2019, 02:24:08 PM
I've used DesignCAD since DOS 5.0.
I suspect that's before some of you were born!

I've not followed every new release.

Under Win 95 it was Version 10 (?)

I bought 17 and was horrified.

But 20 has been a dream for years now through XP and Win 7 (still running 7)

If there is indeed a new version - that fixes more than it breaks -
I might be interested when Win 10 forces its' way into my life.

The worry about being able to validate an install seems valid.

Where are we on this these days?

December 03, 2019, 03:11:51 PM
V27 aka V2018 and earlier V26 aka V2016 both work quite well.   Quite a few new features over the years, and unless you look really hard, you probably won't notice many changes to what was there before.   This in itself is amazing.  The redSDK renderer was a big part what was new in these versions.

The programming team ie developers were changed at the end of the V2018 cycle, and the last update finally kills off the unfortunately unsuccessful RedSDK 3D Rendering implementation.

V28 aka V2019 has been out for a while with a couple of serious bugs, the patch which seems very imminent now appears to have fixed those.   It has 2D pdf import built in which some will find very handy.  Also some export formats related to 3D printing.

They are now starting work on V2020 we have no idea what will be new in that.  We are hoping for improvements in the area of rendering and shadows.

User since Pro-design

* December 03, 2019, 11:13:09 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. We will share the finalized list of DesignCAD 2020 New features by the end of this month.

M.Zunair Attif

January 02, 2020, 06:11:03 PM
Sounds promising.

We are waiting as fast (and as patiently) as we can.

User since Pro-design

* February 18, 2020, 06:27:39 PM
One of my biggest reasons for keeping up with DC updates is to insure that I can still import DWG and DXF files.  I think Douglas is onto something (Aug. 23).  The users of DesignCAD may not be the richest people around.  We need someone with a little money who is willing to buy up something that is good and unique, with a strong desire to make it better.  That person should request (IMSA has all of our email addresses) open-ended input from all DC owners on what they would like to work better.  Such a questionnaire should not be a canned type of survey, the kind that asks only certain questions, and doesn't allow for tailored responses.  You have all seen these types of surveys:  "On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you agree with the following statements."

February 18, 2020, 07:51:21 PM
By the end of what month? What year?

DesignCAD user since 1987

* February 19, 2020, 03:38:59 AM
Dear All,

Following are the features so far developed in DesignCAD 2020:

PDF Underlay
AI Import
AI Underlay
Line minimum distance tool for parallel lines
Best Fit Circle
Ribbon User Interface

I will share more items when completed!

M.Zunair Attif

* February 19, 2020, 08:56:40 AM
Zunair Attif;

Thanks for the update.

Jim
User since ProDesign 1.5

* February 23, 2020, 09:48:32 PM
Dear All,

Following are the features so far developed in DesignCAD 2020:

PDF Underlay
AI Import
AI Underlay
Line minimum distance tool for parallel lines
Best Fit Circle
Ribbon User Interface

I will share more items when completed!

Hi Zunair,

Thanks for the update.

3 questions:

1)When do you plan to fix the dimensioning bugs, dimension export bugs, and dimension import bugs introduced in version 18? (13 years ago)

2) Why would IMSI devote so much time and energy to such a radical (and polarizing) change as a ribbon interface, when there are so many serious bugs waiting to be fixed? 

3) How you can expect to successfully create a new interface for the entire program (with no input from users), when you (IMSI) can't create a simple working interface for the point relative command?

Regards,
BD

PS: OK, the final 2 questions are rhetorical.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:55:52 PM by bdeck »

February 24, 2020, 09:51:23 AM
Ribbon interface!!!

Microsoft introduced "the ribbon" in Office several years ago and everything went downhill!

IT IS AWFUL!!!!

We used to be able to customize the menu bar so the functions we used most often were readily available, and the stuff we never used was eliminated. But with the "ribbon" we have all of this useless junk wasting a significant amount of screen space, hiding most of the things we regularly use. It was a huge step backwards in user interface design.

A bunch of Microsoft morons wanted to create something "new" to make it appear they were capable of doing something useful to improve the programs. But they didn't have a clue how the users were using the program (programmers rarely do). They thought they knew better than the users what we need to see. So, in the absence of any intelligent ideas about how to improve the functionality of the program, they decided they wanted to shove all of the program's features in our faces in a glitzy new useless "ribbon!"

DesignCAD has the most flexible and user friendly user interface of all the dozens of programs I have used over the years. It doesn't need any changes!

IF YOU DO WASTE A LOT OF PROGRAMMING TIME ON A "RIBBON" THAT IS UNNECESSARY, PLEASE ALLOW USERS TO DISABLE IT ENTIRELY AND CONTINUE TO USE THE CURRENT BEST USER INTERFACE IN THE INDUSTRY.

BD has a good point. Why are you wasting time adding more features (and bugs)? There are dozens of existing bugs in the program, including many that have been introduced in the last version. The video display routines are ancient (Windows 3), slow and very buggy! I'll bet it is a bunch of slow witted pointy haired paper shufflers at IMSI who want something "different" and "faddish" in order to make it look like there is a reason to buy the latest versions.

Phil

PS: How many current DesignCAD users would use a new "ribbon" interface instead of the very flexible interface we already have?

DesignCAD user since 1987

* February 24, 2020, 11:51:06 AM
I already shared this feedback with management so that they can plan accordingly.

M.Zunair Attif