Register

DesignCAD 2019 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Unread posts
Read 121 times
November 13, 2019, 03:24:19 PM
The "Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit" function in the Forum does not work for me. Does it work for anyone else?

In every case when I select this option I get the message there are no unread posts since my last visit. But if I then click the "Show all unread posts" option I get a list of new posts that have occurred since my last visit!

I have to do this double click side step for every unread post, and it is annoying!

The "show unread posts" option used to work before the Forum was changed/screwed up/improved.

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

* November 13, 2019, 07:52:18 PM
One click on the "show unread posts" button brings up all my unread posts.

Problem is, I have never used that feature before. I was very happy with the now discontinued "Recent posts" menu at the bottom of the home page, and could access it at any time without logging in.

Unread posts is a nice feature, but I am disappointed that recent post info is no longer available without logging in.

bd

November 13, 2019, 09:27:40 PM
Phil, do you by chance use the option to stay logged in, for some time period?

I'm thinking if you do, it may not recognize your visit as a fresh login.

User since Pro-design

* November 13, 2019, 10:58:08 PM
Well, I just tried it - for the very first time I might add, and it worked fine for me.
As far as I'm aware my settings have me logged on indefinitely. (and it's worked fine since directing my bookmark to the new web address)

Adrian

November 14, 2019, 09:27:26 AM
BD,

Touche' I don't recall seeing the "recent posts" thing at the bottom of the screen! I have always used the "unread posts" option that was at the top of the screen.

Adrian,

I suppose I must be configured to automatically log in because I almost never have to do that (maybe once every two or three years after there has been a change to the Forum).

Since "unread posts" works for some this must be a configuration problem with my Forum settings.

One thing I do is have the newest posts appear at the top of the list (screen) instead of the bottom, and the default was (years ago) for the most recent posts to be at the bottom of the list (screen). Back then the list always opened at the top (first entry) and you had to scroll down to see the latest entry. That was annoying, especially on lengthy discussions, I changed it so the screen would open with the latest post at the top.

I just looked around the Forum options and I cannot find a way to change the order of the posts any more. In fact, I couldn't find any Forum options except my user information.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 09:33:20 AM by Dr PR »

* November 14, 2019, 11:06:07 AM
BD, Touche' I don't recall seeing the "recent posts" thing at the bottom of the screen! I have always used the "unread posts" option that was at the top of the screen.

Hi Dr PR,
The forum always had a separate section at the bottom of the home page (called "Info Center" on other smf forums)

Info Center
   Recent Posts
   Forum Stats  (had last post) 
   Users Online

Now in order to get recent posts I  log in, and click Hello button to find a dropdown with the "Show Unread Posts" control on it.

Is that how it works for everyone now?
BD

November 14, 2019, 09:16:05 PM
That's how it works (almost) for me now. But when I click the "Hello button and select  "Show unread posts" it ALWAYS tells me there are no unread posts since my last visit. But when I click the "Show unread posts" line it does show me the unread posts since my last visit. line on the base page - one less click

First of all, having to click the "Hello" button is extra work - the old Forum had a "Show unread posts" on the base page.

The new forum sucks!

Phil