Register

DesignCAD 2019 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

3D 2019 Line takes over 10 seconds to draw after pressing enter
Read 72 times
* November 30, 2019, 09:55:26 AM
The long green line in the attached 2D drawing takes over 10 seconds to draw after I press enter.  The same line using v20 is instantaneous.
When I open the drawing in 2019 part of the drawing doesn't show up on the screen including the colored lines, I have to regenerate the drawing to see everything that was loaded.  It shows everything on the screen in v20 without having to regenerate it.
I first thought, drawing a line through hatch and images caused the delay but it appears to be something else that is not visible.
Note, all the blue lines draw nearly instantaneous, all the red lines take 3-6+ seconds to draw.  Inside the yellow ellipse, the short red line takes 4-5 seconds to draw, about the same as the much longer red line and the blue lines are both instantaneous!  Any line drawn that crosses over the space between the two short lines takes 3+ seconds to draw, but there doesn't appear to be any entity or reason why!
Any help will be appreciated.

My System Specs...
Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates)
Intel Core i7-920 2.66ghz CPU
12gb DDR3 1600 Triple Chanel Memory
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256bit GDDR5 Memory Graphics Card
Hisense 49" 4K Monitor (3840x2180)

November 30, 2019, 12:20:11 PM
I tried this on my mid-range 3 year old HP envy laptop with I5 processor and intel graphics.

The longest redraw I can get is about 3 seconds, which takes place when selecting or un-selecting one of the long lines, or drawing a new one similar.  Wide line or not seems to make no difference, and color seems to make no difference.

Could be some quirk of your video driver??

It seems all of the entities which cross the line need to be redrawn up to the edges of the wide line.

Designcad was never known for the best display routines, so many of us have learned to display only what we need while drawing, turn off as many layers as possible, draw details separately and paste into larger final drawings.

User since Pro-design

* December 01, 2019, 05:44:54 AM
Rob S,
Thanks for the reply.  I think we had several phone conversations a few years ago about redraw speed right before imsi dropped red something (can't remember what it was actually called) that did instantaneous redraws but had some bugs.  Anyway I have been trying to figure this out because I don't think it is my hardware, since v20 drew all the lines instantly.  I think it is dcad together with possibly windows 10 recent update.  All my drawings seem to have the same problem and all were created with v20 so I think 2019 may not be as backward compatible as imsi is saying.
I've attached another file with a line.  The line takes almost 13 seconds (used a stop watch this time as my previous counting was a bit quick).  I would appreciate it if you would draw a similar line and see how long it takes to show up on your machine, also is it running windows 10 with last months major update?
When I look at the prior drawing and this one in 3D shouldn't the top and side views be a single line since they were both drawn in 2D (I don't use 3D at all, so my question my be stupid).
I have another problem which I would appreciate your input on, I removed v20 when I installed 2019, I reinstalled v20 (no errors) but when I either try to start it directly or by selecting a drawing I get the windows 10 startup hour glass for a second then the hour glass goes away and nothing happens (no dcad).  The only way I can get v20 to work again is to restore an older backup image of c:\, but that only works for a while until v20 crashes (usually when I run a very old short macro that displays the area and length of the selected items).  After v20 crashes it won't run again, uninstalling and reinstalling it also doesn't work, the only thing that works is to restore an older backup image of c:\ where v20 was working.  I'm baffled by this, my only guess is when dcad crashes it does something to the registry that prevents dcad from running after that, but I have no idea where to look.  What I would like to do is completely remove dcad, everything, but most importantly anything is the registry.  You wouldn't happen to have such a program?  If I can get rid of everything I assume I should be able to reinstall v20 and have it work.  If not I may have to reinstall windows and 50+ programs I use which will take so many hours its hard to believe. 
Jack
My System Specs...
Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates)
Intel Core i7-920 2.66ghz CPU
12gb DDR3 1600 Triple Chanel Memory
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256bit GDDR5 Memory Graphics Card
Hisense 49" 4K Monitor (3840x2180)

December 01, 2019, 09:25:13 AM
Jack,

This is just a guess, but have you tried running DCAD V20 as the Administrator? This sometimes solves startup problems.

Also, be sure you have the latest drivers for the video card, and especially the latest OpenGL drivers. Some 3D displays in DCAD use OpenGL, and it can have a dramatic effect on drawing speed.

When you open a 2D drawing in 3D mode you will see an oblique view of the drawing in the main window. The drawing is actually in the XZ plane (X being horizontal left to right along the X axis, Y is up and Z is depth into the screen). So the top view window shows the XZ plane, as the drawing is viewed in 2D. The other windows show the XY and YZ planes, and the drawing should appear as a single horizontal or vertical line.

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

December 01, 2019, 09:28:47 AM
Tried you new drawing on two different laptops - older one has switchable graphics, and has older versions of DCAD installed.

Both have windows 10 complete with all updates except the very latest 1909 "feature update"

Both take about 3 seconds to redraw the line in question.  They also take about 3 seconds to regen the entire drawing, regardless of which version of DCAD I try it on, all the way back to V212, which is the oldest I have installed.

If you turn off the DCAD option for flicker-free draw, you can see the entire drawing being regenerated while it draws the new line.  Undo and redo of the line seems to have the same effect as drawing it from scratch.   The option for off-screen bitmap makes no difference for me.   I also tried placing all the hatch entities on a separate layer and turning it off, which again made little difference.

I have not had any issues with having multiple versions of DCAD on any computer under windows 10.   Sets me to wondering if something on your machine has got corrupted.   So does not restoring a backup image of your drive C also restores the previous version of Windows unless you are only restoring user files???

I am currently installing latest windows update on one of these machines, we will see if that affects it.

User since Pro-design

December 01, 2019, 10:37:35 AM
Further updates

Installing Windows 1909 update on the one laptop made no difference to the redraw times

I began thinking that maybe wide lines had something to do with it, so I tried reducing all linewidths to zero, but again that made no observable difference in redraw times.

Drawing shorter lines that only cross a few panels like one row draw instantly.

The redraw time seems to most closely relate to the rectangle created by the line in question, regardless of how many points the line has or how many entities it directly crosses.   The entire rectangle is regenerated even for a simple two-point diagonal line.

I might question how often an entity is drawn across the entire drawing top to bottom and right to left, thus the practical effect of this problem is somewhat limited??

The question clearly remains why my mid range I5 and much older I7 takes 3 seconds and your obviously more high-end I7 takes 13 seconds.   Maybe the governing factor is the speed of any single core - mine being supposedly 2.3 ghz.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:47:07 AM by Rob S »

User since Pro-design

December 01, 2019, 03:06:16 PM
I suspect that some of the lag is due to the graphics card. 2Gb on an older card is not enough for that resolution.
What happens if you reduce your DC window size to 1/4 the screen?

December 01, 2019, 03:39:49 PM
For me on 1920x1080 display, reducing window size has no effect on drawing regen, or line display

As a different test, you might try reducing the screen resolution you are using.

User since Pro-design