Register

DesignCAD 2D 2020 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2020 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Moving groups of points
Read 126 times
* June 27, 2020, 10:29:53 PM
After recent discussions about the pros & cons of solid surfaces I had decided to enable 'Use Surface Representation...' and see how it goes.
I'm now building my first 3D since then and realise that if I try to select a number of points (by dragging round them) in point-select mode it does not work on solid surfaces. I had to go and convert to solids on all the entities I wanted to edit - it's a tool I use a lot, so until that gets fixed I've disabled 'Surfaces' again.
Whilst on the subject of moving points in point select mode, this next thing is an issue I've battled round for years, but I'm always forgetting to post / complain about.
If I have the 'Ortho Mode' toggled on and I try to move a point or group of points, as soon as I try to 'pick up' the point to move it the program goes crazy and the mouse snaps to some crazy offscreen point, distorting the drawing as it takes the point with it.
I don't usually remember if I have ortho mode toggled on or off, and it's not obvious until a tool is selected and the little 'square' beside the mouse appears, so I'm always having to undo a stuff-up and toggle ortho off before I can move a point.
Anybody else seeing this strange behaviour? Is happened since I started using 3D, so.... 20 years?

Adrian

* June 28, 2020, 04:36:13 PM
Hi Adrian,

Whether in ortho mode or not, I see the same problem in version 29 (2020). Also in prior 3 versions. Huge delay between renderings of cursor crosshair.

I thought it might be the multiple redraw problem described by Dr PR.  When I set the view setting to "wireframe all views", the problem changed to one of failure to recognize the grab handle.

So I drew a short vector from one of the points I wanted to move. Then I selected all, and point selected the points I wanted to move plus the new line. I grabbed the point on the free end of the new line. The move worked whether in point ortho mode or not.

Works fine if one is using point relative to set the destination.

Or one could first copy the new line to the point destination, Then pointmove endpoint to endpoint. Then erase the last two lines.

Hmm,,, If IMSI never comes back to the forum, seems as though a macro might be able to perform this function.....

Regards,
BD

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:38:58 PM by bdeck »

* June 29, 2020, 03:16:00 AM
It seems there are a bunch of issues that are loosely related.
I also see the failure to recognise a grab handle sometimes, but I think that's different to the solid surface issue - that is solved by binning solid surfaces, but like you said,  it'd be nice if someone from IMSI was a regular participator here to help out the way we'd been used to with DT...

Adrian

* June 29, 2020, 09:31:16 PM
... I think that's different to the solid surface issue - that is solved by binning solid surfaces,

Hi Adrian,

Solid surface has been around since V24. This is the first time I've messed with it.

I find it impossible to select a set of points on a  Solid Surface, let alone grab the set and move it.

I find it necessary to first use Menu/Edit/SelectionEdit/Convert/SurfaceToSolid

(SurfaceToSolid doesn't seem to be discussed in the OnlineHelp or the Reference Manual, but it is mentioned in "BasicCAD Changes and Additions V18-24.1")

I guess that's another step to add to the macro.....

Thanks for the heads up.

bd

* June 29, 2020, 10:33:27 PM
Another 'heads up' thing to remember.
if you import a Sketchup file (as we've been able to do for the last couple of releases) all the solids are solid surfaces by default.
Actually this was how I was making some of my solids watertight so they could compute volumes (before I also found the hidden 'convert solid to solid surface' & back tool) I was exporting to Sketchup and re-importing to Designcad & they came back as watertight solid surfaces. (that program 'cleans up' a lot of issues automatically)

Adrian

July 01, 2020, 07:35:34 AM
Hi, guys.
Adrian, I reported the inability to drag a set of highlighted points in a solid-surface years ago (can't remember if it was before or after these new programmers came on the scene). My cries were totally ignored.
Lar

* July 01, 2020, 10:10:51 AM
Thanks Lar, it seems your cries were not entirely ignored - I must've taken note because I vaguely remember that solid surfaces caused more issues than they solved, I'd just forgotten the details.
I don't know how we're going to fix this issue of having no consistent line of communication with the programmers since DT left us, IMSI needs to appoint some PR position to help with all the issues we take the time to report.

Adrian