Register

DesignCAD 2D 2020 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2020 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

missing toolboxes
Read 78 times
* July 29, 2020, 12:45:00 PM
In dcad 2016, 2d mode, I found that the default line style had changed. In trying to change it back, I attempted to show the line style toolbox, using view options, but it would not show. I tried turning some other boxes on & off and found that the main toolbox also would not show. Without the line style toolbox there seems to be no way to change the default line style. Can anyone help?

July 29, 2020, 02:59:58 PM
Normally, clicking on the bottom or rightmost icon (dashed diagonal line) in the main toolbox will display the line style toolbox.

If the main toolbox is not visible, you can display the line-style toolbox directly from the options dialog, view pane, by  X-marking the line-style item in the window, and click on "apply".  Similarly should get you back your main toolbox.

If neither of these functions is operating for you, then possibly a program reset might be required, this loses all your settings and resets everything to default.

Search for "reset" on the forum here, as I don't recall the exact steps just now, or post back and I will dig them up for you.

User since Pro-design

* July 29, 2020, 06:42:16 PM
It may be that some tool boxes have been moved off-screen. That has happened to me before, try looking around the edges of the screen for the edge of the tool-box to grab and pull back into view.
If you have the toolboxes docked, you may have pushed boxes offscreen by docking too many in a row. Try turning off all your toolboxes except the missing ones...

* July 30, 2020, 05:57:51 AM
I'm not ready to go the reset route, as there are many settings I want to preserve, and I don't see any evidence of nearly offscreen boxes. I have dcad 2016 also on another computer (win7), and the line style toolbox appears on that one when I check the box in "options, view". Is there a default setting in one of the .ini files that I could change?  Like maybe position of the toolbox on the screen?

July 30, 2020, 06:43:07 AM
Interesting.  I think window and thus toolbox locations are stored in the Windows registry, but I,ll poke around a bit and see if I can find anything.

Meanwhile, you could try changing your screen resolution, as that causes Windows to adjust to that.

User since Pro-design

July 30, 2020, 08:07:22 AM
One thing you can do is change the default line-style by editing DC_draw.ini, and change under [linestyle] to type=0

I found where the toolbar locations are stored in the registry, but not which bar corresponds to which number:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\IMSIDesign\DesignCAD\2016\DCAD 3D MAX x64\

I found an article which explains how to reset this for solidworks, by renaming the registry section - mess with this at your peril: 

https://hawkridgesys.com/kb/resetting-solidworks-dialog-box-positions

One other possible suggestion - copy all of your current ini files to a different location.  Make sure you have the right set of these, by confirming the date and time being when you last shut down Designcad.

- then perform the designcad reset procedure, which would clear your custom ini settings, but hopefully also reset the registry positions.  Check to make sure your toolbars are visible.  Shut down again.

- Then copy back your old ini files, which would give you back most of your customization, except for that which was stred in the registry such as dialog positions.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:43:41 AM by Rob S »

User since Pro-design

July 30, 2020, 09:01:21 AM
Back to my first idea - I just tried that, and it worked.

Run designcad, make it windowed, ie not full-screen, and turn on the invisible dialog boxes.

Make sure they are shown as checked in the options, thus theoretically displayed off-screen if you cannot see them.

Then, right-click on desktop, and open display settings, and choose a lower screen resolution than your are currently using.   Accept changes.

Your dialog boxes should have now shifted onto the screen.  Then you can restore your original screen resolution, and they remained visible for me.

Good luck with that!!!

User since Pro-design

* July 30, 2020, 01:33:01 PM
Rob, I tried your suggestion of changing screen resolutions, for several values down to 800x600, but the toolboxes would not appear. Then I tried editing dc_draw.ini and that would change the default line style. That might have solved my problem even without the toolboxes except that one drawing that I have been working on ignores the .ini setting and insists on using the line style to which it had spontaneously changed. This unwanted change has happened before, always to the same line style (continuous), but in the past I was able to change it back with the line style toolbox.

I looked at the registry, following your path, and two of the command bars (5 and 9) had really outlandish numbers for xpos. Like 4294936576 decimal, whereas non of the others are greater than 5000, and most a few hundred. If I change them, does the effect require a reboot?

July 30, 2020, 02:02:19 PM
Not sure, try it.

Probably just close Dad, change the number, close registry editor to save changes, then restart dead.

You could use Windows restore to save a restore point before messing with this.

User since Pro-design

* July 30, 2020, 02:41:38 PM
I'm always nervous about fooling with the registry since my understanding is so limited, but changing those numbers did the trick. I set xpos to zero for the misbehaving toolboxes and they both showed up at the far left. Reboot was not needed. Now the registry entries change to reflect the position changes I made in designcad. Problem solved for now and with luck I will remember this if it happens again. Thanks for your help.

July 30, 2020, 02:49:42 PM
Wheieuwwww, glad that surgery worked.

I hate giving advice involving scalpels and vital organs at the best of times.   :)

User since Pro-design