Register

DesignCAD 2019 and DesignCAD 3D Max 2019 now available for sale!
https://www.turbocad.com/designcad/ OR
https://www.imsidesign.com/products/designcad

Which spelling do you use?
Dilemna2
Dilemma8
Other (eg Dillema) - please add spelling.0

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: December 31, 2014, 03:04:48 PM

Dilemna or Dilemma?
Read 5571 times
September 30, 2014, 04:04:48 PM
Note
I have set this to expire on 31 Dec 2014,
Max vote per user = 1
Users cannot change their/your vote
Only if you vote can you see the result

PS Herewith some background stuff (suggest read after you have voted)
http://www.dilemna.info/

PS Maybe I should have added the option "Life is too short to address dilemmnnas of this nature.  Who kares anyway"?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:17:50 PM by samdavo »

September 30, 2014, 04:12:30 PM
Dilemma - two lemmas. Two equally rational but opposite arguments.

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987

September 30, 2014, 05:08:47 PM
Dilemna or dilemma? What a quandary!  ::)

* September 30, 2014, 06:59:11 PM
Well, it's a tie for now since only two of us have voted. Anyway, I always thought the word had only one "m".

It's been a VERY hot summer here.
Jim A., Tucson, AZ

October 01, 2014, 07:18:44 AM
Which spelling do I use?   The correct answer is yes.

If "Dilemma" = "True" then Print "You've got problems"
  Else if "Dilemna" = "True" then Print "You've got Di - 1 lemmas"
End If

October 01, 2014, 08:14:27 AM
Here's "Lar's Tried and Proven Method Of Resolving a Dilemma" but it only works for personal dilemmas (eg, you can't decide to wear the red or the blue necktie) not spelling choices where a correct answer exists already. Please read all steps carefully. This is not a joke.

1] Take a coin or anything you can flip.

2] Decide which side will represent which choice (eg: heads=red, tails=blue)

3] Flip the coin.

4] When it lands check for which side wins.

5] Now here's the critical steps: Upon realizing which side wins you will either feel elated or disappointed.

6] If you feel elated stick with the winner. If you feel disappointed go with the other choice.

What this method does is forces you to come to a decision, but it's a decision you are not forced to stick with. So, if you don't like it just go with the other choice.

Works every time, except in the following cases:

7] If going with the other choice still leaves you feeling disappointed then abandon both and pick another tie. If you don't have another tie then don't wear a tie.

8] If step 7 goes on and on and you still can't resolve it then go with the choice that will make the best story.

Lar

October 01, 2014, 08:26:05 AM
Lar, we've been using your process for years, without ever having seen or heard  it described so well.

We have found it most useful at times, especially between partners where one might not be inclined to express their preference too forcefully in case the other partner goes along just to please you, etc etc, but who can fault you for arguing with the coin!!!

In any case, the coin fell and it went for dilemna, so I voted accordingly, so be it.

User since Pro-design

October 01, 2014, 09:03:42 AM
Rob, I once employed that method in an incident that involved certain American authorities in Nassau, certain American authorities in Detroit, the American Embassy in Toronto, the Bahamian Embassy in Montreal, certain individuals in Nassau, a certain waterfall on the border of Canada and New York State... and certain authorities in a little Canadian town just east of that waterfall. It was the climatic point of a really thrilling story... all very legal and above board of course... and too long and involved to relate on this forum.

Lar  :-X
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:12:03 AM by Lar »

October 01, 2014, 09:05:29 AM
Well, I must be having a forum software Lar-glitch. When I click the view results button I see nothing.  A dilemma, so what is the score?

Edit: strange things - forum software didn't find the misspelled buttom the first time?   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:08:18 AM by prl »

October 01, 2014, 10:15:08 AM
Prl, if you vote the results replace the pole, so you see the results plus you can't vote again.

Lar

I must be having a forum software Lar-glitch.   
Oh... nowwwww I get it. ;D .
   So far my glitches are 50/50:
...one bad  (scroll to top,   http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=5859.msg41199#msg41199),
...one good (http://forum.designcadcommunity.com/index.php?topic=5891.msg41448#msg41448)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:22:41 AM by Lar »

October 01, 2014, 11:50:05 AM
Prl, if you vote the results replace the pole, so you see the results plus you can't vote again.

So we don't see the ongoing tally?  A cliffhanger until Dec 31.  Where's my calender?

October 01, 2014, 01:22:34 PM
prl, 
For a while there it was running 100% in favour of Dilemna.   But then Jim voted and it became 50-50. 

(edit) and ever since Dilemma has been in the lead - which PROVES that there is an international trend sprung up in the last 24 hours away from Dilemna !-  But in the next 3 months, we will be able to review the monthly trends in English usage on this point.  Who nose?  Dilemna might come back into fashion.

Lar
Nice system there.

Alternatively :- heads I paint the front room, tails I paint the back room,  and if it lands on its edge I go to the dentist.
And if it DOES land on its edge, then I change the rules to "best 2 out of 3" - thence "3 out of 5" etc - which I now realise is a variant of your system.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:52:55 PM by samdavo »

October 01, 2014, 01:38:32 PM
It's "dilemma", "damm" it. Ain't English goofy?

25 years with DesignCAD

October 01, 2014, 04:15:03 PM
So we don't see the ongoing tally?
You will see the ongoing tally after you vote.

Lar

October 01, 2014, 08:02:38 PM
Who cares about the tally? Read the dictionary.

Phil

DesignCAD user since 1987